Pink Lady Cake

Pink Lady Cake

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Gluten-Free Mushroom Cabbage Galette

I've been feeling lately like I don't post enough savory recipes.  Thus, here is a wonderful galette, which just so happens to work perfectly gluten-free.  I had been planning to make it yesterday and only got to the dough, as just so much was happening.  In fact, so much was going on that I didn't even get to find a costume for Decade Day, part of Spirit Week.  It's not exactly a loss though.  I will be dressing up for TV/Movie day tomorrow and am looking forward to it.



As to this galette, well, I had none of the fresh herbs and because I had very little time to spare couldn't run out to get them.  So, I made do with dried thyme and tarragon, and just omitted the dill.  Despite that, it was still quite good.  The only thing that was a bit odd was that the galette didn't cook down as much in the oven as I expected, so I ended up with this very domed tart.  Of course this had no effect on the flavor and I really didn't mind.  I also didn't have shiitake mushrooms, and so just about doubled the mushrooms.  This could be the reason that the whole this was so rounded, of course.


Now, I did make it gluten-free and I was actually astounded with the results.  I had wanted to make my own mix of flours and starches, but again, there were time constraints and that the closest supermarket to us doesn't carry white rice flour.  So, I went with the King Arthur Flour Mixture plus about 1/2 a teaspoon to a teaspoon of xantham gum to keep it together.  I did have a litttle trouble rolling it out, as it did have the tendency to crack.  Once it was warm though, I could just press it out with my hands onto the cookie sheet.  Once the filling was in it, I took a sharp chef's knife and peeled the edges off that way.  The pastry did taste a bit like lime though , which I had substituted for the lemon juice. 

All in all, it was a success.  The filling and pastry dough work well and I suspect that if you actually had the fresh herbs it would be at a whole other level!  Here is the recipe:

Cabbage and Mushroom Galette
Filling adapted from Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone by Smitten Kitchen, galette dough is from Smitten Kitchen as well
For the pastry
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (I used the equal amount of King Arthur Gluten-Free Flour Blend plus 1 teaspoon xantham gum)
1/4 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into
pieces
1/4 cup sour cream
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup ice water
For the filling
2 tablespoons butter
1 large onion, finely diced
4 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded, caps thinly diced(I used 8 ounces button mushrooms)
1 teaspoon chopped thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried
1 teaspoon chopped tarragon or 1/2 teaspoon dried
1 tablespoon chopped dill or 1 teaspoon dried
6 cups thinly sliced cabbage, preferably Savoy, or 4 cups cabbage plus 2 cups other greens, such as beet, chard, or kale
salt and freshly milled pepper
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1 hard-cooked egg, chopped
1/4 cup sour cream or yogurt
1 teaspoon tarragon vinegar(I used red wine vinegar)
2 tablespoons melted butter

1. Make pastry: In a bowl, combine the flour and salt. Place the butter in another bowl. Place both bowls in the freezer for 1 hour. Remove the bowls from the freezer and make a well in the center of the flour. Add the butter to the well and, using a pastry blender, cut it in until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Make another well in the center. In a small bowl, whisk together the sour cream, lemon juice and water and add half of this mixture to the well. With your fingertips, mix in the liquid until large lumps form. Remove the large lumps and repeat with the remaining liquid and flour-butter mixture. Pat the lumps into a ball; do not overwork the dough. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
2. Prepare the filling: Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, mushrooms, and herbs and cook until softened, about 10 minutes. Add the cabbage, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 cup water. Cover and cook slowly until the cabbage is tender, 15 to 20 minutes, turning it occasionally (I found that 15 minutes would be on the high end if you were using standard cabbage and just wanted it tender). Add more liquid. When tender, uncover and raise the heat to evaporate any excess moisture. The mixture should be fairly dry. Stir in the parsley, egg, and sour cream. Season with vinegar and taste for salt and pepper.
3. Assemble galette: Preheat the oven to 400» F. Roll the dough into a large thin circle and set it on the back of a sheet pan or cookie sheet. The edges will hang over the sides. Add the filling, making a mound 7 to 8 inches across, then fold the edges over and brush with the melted butter. Pour any extra butter into the vegetables. Bake until browned, 25 to 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment