Pink Lady Cake

Pink Lady Cake

Monday, November 14, 2011

Pineapple Salsa


I'm not sure why I decided to make something with pineapple, it not being all too seasonal. I really wanted to work on the Daring Cooks challenge, in which you must infuse a savory recipe with tea, but I just ran out of time.  This is the last one I can skip for the year, so, well, hopefully you'll be seeing some recipes for Daring Cooks in coming months. 

I am working on my Daring Bakers challenge though.  I'm trying to devise some interesting flavor combinations.  Something unique and vibrant and just great!  Yet of course I can't tell you what this is to be for...so it's a bit difficult for you to come up with flavor combinations. 




But today I made pineapple salsa from Saveur.  I made a few changes by using a full pineapple instead of just one cup.  I didn't change the proportion of  the other ingredients to the pineapple, except for doubling the sugar and increasing the salt.  I didn't really want a salsa, I wanted a more interesting way to serve pineapple with other things; more like a salad.



Now, I was hoping for a Thanksgiving test recipe today.  Turned out that wasn't to be.  It's okay.  Tomorrow perhaps?  We'll see, or maybe I'll just be spending all of next Wednesday thinking and planning because it may be the only time for it!

Salsa de Pina Picante
From Saveur Issue #40

MAKES ABOUT 1 1/3 CUPS1 cup finely chopped fresh pineapple
1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
3 tbsp. fresh lime juice
2 tbsp. fresh orange juice
1 1/2 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. kosher salt
2 jalapeños, stemmed and minced
1/2 small red onion, minced (I just used white onion)

In a large bowl, mix together all ingredients; serve at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment