Pink Lady Cake

Pink Lady Cake

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Indian Pudding



Today we went to the Common Ground Fair in Unity.  I realized while there that though I have always liked the idea behind the Common Ground Fair, I don't even really like fairs to begin with, of any type.  For this reason, the Common Ground Fair isn't terribly exciting.  Despite the fact that their food is definitely better than normal fair food, and the things being sold are all high quality, I don't really want to spend a day shopping.  And food that's just decent, isn't really what I want.  There was one exception, of course, the falafel was pretty wonderful. 



Now, while I was there, someone told me I ought to try the Indian Pudding.  Well, I didn't quite make it to wherever they were selling it, and went away from the fair without having had some.  Upon returning home I realized that I could very easily make Indian pudding and might as well just make it here.  Yet I was apprehensive; my first experience with it hadn't yielded superb results.

When I was at my grandparent's house during the winter we decided to make Indian Pudding.  Having never had it before, I was quite excited to try it, as it sounded splendid.  It was a recipe that took 3 hours and many cups of milk, and when it was finally done, the pudding was very watery and not terribly sweet.  In other words, it was very disapointing, as I had had such high expectations.



Yet since then, I have seen Indian Pudding that is nice and thick and looks wonderful.  I have been wanting to try and make it right since then.  Just yesterday, when coming back from Isleboro, my mom bought an Indian Pudding milkshake that was wonderful.  That, along with my experience today told me I just had to make it.  We even had ice cream ready and waiting.

This recipe is very good.  You may want to increase the spices or molasses and decrease the sugar depending on your preferences.  It is very thick and goes great with ice cream.  Just as well, it doesn't take the three hours to bake like some recipes do. 



Indian Pudding
Joy of Cooking 75th Anniversary Addition
6 to 8 servings

A truly warming dessert, with a taste and texture somewhat like pumpkin pie.

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.  Generously butter a heavy 1 1/2 -to 2-quart baking dish.
Measure into a large heavy saucepan:

2/3 cup cornmeal

Stir in, very gradually at first to prevent lumps:

4 cups whole milk

Stirring constantly, bring to a boil over medium-high heat.  Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring frequently, until thick, about 5 minutes.  Remove from heat and whisk in:

1/3 cup sugar (I used light brown)
1/4 cup molasses
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon grated or ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/8 teaspoon salt

Turn the pudding into the prepared dish.  Bake in a water bath until the center looks firm but still slightly quivery when the dish is shaken, about 1 hour10 minutes.  A dark crust will form on top.  Serve warm or cold with:

Vanilla ice cream or cream

No comments:

Post a Comment