Pink Lady Cake

Pink Lady Cake

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Stuffed Squash and My Madeleine Pan


Well today I finally found time to do something that wasn't homework.  It was wonderful.  I eased in just enough to sautee a few onions, dice some apple, and grate some cheese.  That was just about it, but it was still wonderful.  And, for that matter, I am able to actually blog today, not just cook.




So today I made stuffed acorn squash.  Thing is, I was going to use the recipe that my mom recommended from Jane Brody's cookbook, yet when we went to look for it, we found out that the one page missing from the cookbook held that recipe.  We searched online and eventually gave up; willing to go by memory and hope for the best. 




All in all, the results were decent.  I would have made some additions but my mom was adamant on having specific ingredients.  Of course, we were supposed to use cottage cheese, we realized after.  We really needed a better binding.  Also, the squash seemed too dry after having cooked twice.  I do so wish we had found that recipe.  Well, it is what it is. 

The other thing that happened today was that my madeleine pan from Williams-Sonoma arrived in the mail.  It is positively beautiful.  I am already in love with it. Tomorrow a recipe that is actually credible is promised.  I am thinking maybe David Lebovitz's recipe will be the one I use.  I would try and find Julia Child's yet I read recently that her dessert recipes are often too sweet and outdated.  I cannot remember if the article was based on Mastering the Art of French Cooking, which is what I have, or not.  If in fact it is I would like to remind the author that it was not Julia who developed most of the dessert recipes, but her co-author Simone Beck, so he or she shouldn't talk about Julia's bad recipes when Julia didn't create them.  The recipe for squash is below:



2 acorn squash, cooked until tender
2 granny smith apples, diced fine
3/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup peanuts
1 medium onion, chopped

Suatee onion on medium heat for 7 or 8 minutes.  Add apple and sautee 3 minutes or so.  Remove from heat and add peanuts and cheddar.  Scoop into squash.  Cook 20 minutes or so, or until the filling is brown.  Adjusting recipe for more moisture in squash is recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment