Pink Lady Cake

Pink Lady Cake

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Madeleines!!


Finally got around to making madeleines today.  Yet, of course, I was impatient and didn't want to try and convert David Lebovitz's recipe from an amount making 24 to that making 16 because that is the amount my pan holds.  Just as well, I didn't want to have to chill the batter for at least an hour.  So, I ended up using the recipe that came with the pan.  They are quite good, very light and not too sugary.  I didn't add any vanilla extract because I didn't have any, and so instead added the zest of a small lemon, as David Lebovitz and many other recipes call for.  I suppose, personally I would prefer to have madeleines that are more like pound cake rather than sponge, but these still have promise.



Anyways, more Daring work this weekend, but instead for Daring Cook's.  The recipe we were given has many variations, and I'm hoping that between now and the 14th I will be able to try out a few. 

So today I went swimming again; not really wanting to, because the lines on the bottom of the pool, aren't all that interesting, but because I had to.  I really cannot justify making madeleines if I don't do any exercise.  Afterwards, I went driving for 45 minutes or so because I have spent next to no time at all on my night time hours.  I must say that it is quite scary, and I am afraid I may have hit a frog or two.  In other words, I may be sticking to driving during the day for a while.

That's that.  Here is the recipe for madeleines that I used.  Do follow the instructions that say to let them sit for a little while.  They taste a bit eggy when they are still hot. 



Madeleines
Adpated from a recipe adapted from Williams-Sonoma Foods of the World Series, Paris, by Marlena Spieler

Makes 16

Melted butter for brushing molds
1/2 cup all-purpose flour, sifted, plus more for dusting
2 eggs
1/3 cup granulated sugar
Grated zest of a small lemon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
4 tablespoons salted butter, melted and cooled
Confectioners sugar for dusting or David Lebovitz's lemon glaze recipe

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Using a pastry brush, brush butter over each mold of the madeleine pan, carefully buttering each ridge.  Dust the molds with flour, tilting the pan to coat the surfaces evenly.  Turn the pan upside down and gently tap out the excess flour.

In a large bowl, combine the eggs and granulated sugar.  Using a wire whisk or handheld mixer on medium-high speed, beat vigorously until pale, thick nad fluffy, about 5 minutes.  Beat in the lemon zest and vanilla.  Sprinkle the sifted flour over the egg mixture and stir or beat on low speed until incorporated.

Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in half of the melted butter until just blended, then fold in the remaining butter. 

Divide the batter evenly among the prepared molds, using a heaping 1 tablespoon batter for each mold.  Bake the madeleines until the tops spring back when lightly touched, 8 to 12 minutes.

Remove the pan from the oven and invert it over a wire rack, then rap the pan on the rack to release the madeleines.  If any should stick, use your fingers to loosen the edges, being careful not to touch the hot pan, and invert and rap again.

Let madeleines cool on the rack for 10 minutes.  Using a fine-mesh sieve, dust the tops with confectioners sugar and serve. 






1 comment: