Pink Lady Cake

Pink Lady Cake

Thursday, September 1, 2011

School Begins with Lemon Risotto


Ah, the first day of school.  The leaves are beginning to turn yellow and red and the air is becoming crisp.  Yet, even though everything weather-wise is in line with what it would be each year, this year I don't feel like I'm back to school again.  Maybe this is because this year I have so many other things to think about.  I have this blog to write, food to cook for it, swimming, and many other things to get in besides homework.  It seems as though those things are finally getting their fair share of time and devotion this year, so I can't worry all the time about school.  That, not the work itself, is what has eaten up a lot of time in the past.

Upon returning home today I immediately set to my work so that I could get on with everything else.  Tonight I made lemon risotto for dinner.  This is a family favorite and something that we (being my parents and me) love.  I found the recipe maybe back in May on the Smitten Kitchen blog and knew it was meant to be.  After the first time making it I realized what a wonderful paring of flavors it is; the rich parmesan with the refreshing lemon.  Yet recently I read through The Best Recipe cookbook's version of the dish and realized what mine lacked.  While it had wonderful flavor, the texture wasn't quite up to par.  I toasted the rice three minutes with the onions instead of just one, as were the instructions in The Best Recipe, and saw immense changes.  The rice was much firmer and chewier.  It wasn't hard at all, it just stood up well, instead of becoming a porridge-like mess.  I give you the recipe below from Bon Appetit, which I found on Smitten Kitchen, along with the notes on my changes.







Lemon Risotto
Bon Appétit May 2002 via epicurious

Ingredients:
6 cups canned low-salt chicken broth
3 1/2 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
2 large shallots, chopped
2 cups arborio rice or medium-grain white rice
1/4 cup dry white wine (I added 1/2 cup)
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (about 3 ounces)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
4 teaspoons grated lemon peel

Preparation:
Bring broth to simmer in large saucepan over medium heat. Reduce heat to low; cover to keep warm. Melt 1 1/2 tablespoons butter with oil in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots and sauté until tender, about 6 minutes. Add rice; stir 1 minute (I stirred 3 minutes). Add wine and stir until evaporated, about 30 seconds. Add 1 1/2 cups hot broth; simmer until absorbed, stirring frequently. Add remaining broth 1/2 cup at a time, allowing broth to be absorbed before adding more and stirring frequently until rice is creamy and tender, about 35 minutes. Stir in cheese and remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Stir in parsley, lemon juice, and lemon peel. Season risotto with salt and pepper. Transfer to bowl and serve.



No comments:

Post a Comment